5 Common Causes of Pesky Roof Leaks
When you hear the “drip, drip, drip” of your roof leaking, it is easy to panic. With all of tasks you have to accomplish on any given day, you don’t have time to deal with a pesky roof leak. And you definitely don’t have time to waste trying to figure out what the source of the leak could possibly be! Roofing contractors can be very helpful when it comes to diagnosing and repairing roof leaks, and we always recommend working with a professional who understands the many complexities of roof systems. For those ambitious problem solvers and do-it-yourselfers out there, however, El Paso Roofing Co. wanted to offer a list of five of the most common causes of roof leaks.
Five Common Causes of Roof Leaks
While this list is not exhaustive by any means, these are five roof leak culprits that we typically see in our industry.
- Age: It may seem obvious, but this is the last cause that most people guess - perhaps it is because they are in denial about getting a roof replacement. Roofing materials deteriorate over time due to temperature fluctuations and weather conditions. Cold weather may cause roofing materials to become brittle, the hot sun can cause tar to melt. Eventually, the combination of these factors makes a roof less effective at keeping water out.
- Cracked Flashing: Roof flashing consists of thin pieces of metal that line the roof under the shingles and on the roof joints. They serve to create a water resistant barrier that protects the roof. Roofers typically apply tar to seal the flashing upon installations, but tar can wear down over time and leave the flashing exposed to the elements. These cracks are especially prevalent around chimneys and vents, so make sure to inspect these areas often.
- Ice Dams: When snow collects on your roof, the heat generated from the house can cause it to melt. Icy water then runs down the roof, refreezing when its hits the edge of the roof. This creates a dam-like ridge of ice around the roof edge that prevents any water from draining off the roof. Homeowners who are proactive about getting snow off of their roofs in the winter are less likely to experience roof leaks as a result of ice dams.
- Missing Shingles: Those strong El Paso winds can rip the shingles right off of a roof - we have seen it! When shingles rip off, areas of the roof become exposed to wind, rain, and debris. You may not be able to see that you are missing a shingle unless you inspect the shingles directly, so we recommend getting help from a professional if you suspect this might be the cause of your leak.
- Debris: Twigs and leaves can build up over time, trapping water against the roof eventually seeping deep into the roof system. Just as it is important to clean snow off of a roof during the winter, homeowners should invest time into clearing debris off of their roofs in the autumn months. It will save them money and time in the future!
Don’t Stress - Work with Roofing Contractors!
We know you don’t need anything else on your plate - especially not a leaky roof. If you are wracking your brain to figure out what could possibly be wrong with your roofing system, don’t hesitate to contact our team of experts at El Paso Roofing. We have the skill and experience to diagnose and fix roof leaks before you even have time to get stressed! Give us a call today!