Roofing Installation — The Five Basic Steps
If it has been over twenty years since your roof was last replaced, it may be time to start thinking about a new roof. Roofs have a limited lifespan, and that means that many people will have to replace their roofs at least once in a lifetime. While replacing your roof may feel like a hassle, however, the professionals at El Paso Roofing can complete your roofing installation project quickly and with minimal disruptions.
Roofing Installation Basics
While professionals can take care of the details of roofing installation, it is helpful for homeowners to know the basic steps. Here is a general overview of the installation process.
- Remove the old roofing material: While some people install multiple layers of roofing on top of one another, this can lead to premature failure of your roof system. Professionals should first remove the old roofing materials, stripping it down to the sheathing.
- Examine the sheathing: The sheathing is a structural support made up of flat panels that provide a base for roofing materials. After removing the old roof, contractors will examine the sheathing to see if there are any areas that are damaged. These spots will be need to be replaced before proceeding with the roofing installation process.
- Placing the drip edge: The drip edge prevents water from running over the edge of the siding and then back underneath it. The drip edge should be installed in two places: the lower part of the roof and the sides of the roof. The first installation should take place before the underlayment is laid down, and the second installation should occur after the underlayment is laid down.
- Put down the underlayment: The underlayment is saturated in water resistant materials to provide extra insulation and water protection for your home. While underlayment comes in both paper felt and synthetic form, the more expensive synthetic underlayment is probably the most protective and durable option.
- Installing the roof: This step will vary greatly depending on what type of roofing material you select. Asphalt shingles require a much different technique than metal or tile. If you are interested in the specific techniques applied in this step, ask you roofing contractor for more information!
Roofing Installation Made Easy
Not only does your roof protect you and your family from the elements, but it also contributes to the overall look of your house. With the help of an experienced roofing company, replacing your roof is much less of a hassle and much more of an opportunity to upgrade the durability and style of your home. If you need a new roof, contact El Paso Roofing to see how we can make the process easy!